Monday, January 16, 2012

Creamy Shrimp Linguine

I'm so excited! This is Day 2 of my new blog. For those just joining, the theme is "never follow a recipe exactly"  because I never do and that is what makes cooking fun!  As I said yesterday in my introductory blog, I hope that the recipes I share over time become part of your repertoire, but that you also feel empowered to change something to make it your recipe. 
Tonight's dish-- Creamy Shrimp Linguine -- is a dish that I pulled together quickly based on what was in the fridge, freezer and pantry. There are a few things I always have on hand: pasta (I AM Italian after all!), olive oil, cheese (of some sort), chicken broth, shrimp and wine. If I had a can of clams or scallops, I probably would have added those too (in step 7). On the EVOO.... we discovered a WONDERFUL artisan olive oil and vinegar store in Bar Harbor. They are open year round and you can order online. I have many recipes that I'll be sharing in which you will see a link to Fiore, but feel free to use your own favorite EVOO.  Sometime, treat yourself to one of theirs. You won't regret it. The one featured here is the Tuscan Herb.


The other thing I should mention about my recipes is that I typically try to use fat-free or low fat whenever I can. My waistline thanks me as does my heart. Finally, I rarely if ever add salt to my recipes. You can always add to your own taste, but I find that the herbs and  other flavors more than compensate for the NaCl, which most of us do not need.
I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to hearing from you.
-- JoAnne


Makes 4 servings.



Ingredients
6 ounces linguine
1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup low-fat half-and-half
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons Fiore Herbs de Provence (or your favorite EVOO) plus ~ 1 Tablespoon for a "toss".
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
28 large shrimp
1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
12 oz. bag of Frozen Vegetables (Broccoli, Yellow Squash, Green Beans, Carrots, Onion, Red Pepper)
1/4 cup sweet vermouth (you can also use a white wine like Riesling)
1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Fresh parsley
Directions
  1. Bring pasta water to boil in large pot. Cover and reduce heat so water stays at a simmer. 
  2. Toss shrimp in Trader Joe's Seasoning Salute** and Cayenne.
  3. Blend chicken broth, half-and-half, and cornstarch in small bowl.
  4. Increase pasta water to a boil and cook pasta according for about 9 minutes. When 3 minutes are left, add frozen vegetables. Bring back to a boil for 2 minutes. Drain pasta/vegetable mixture, pour back into hot pan, toss pasta with a splash (~ 1 tablespoon) of olive oil, and set-aside.
  5. Heat oil in cast iron skillet on medium high.
  6. Saute onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
  7. Stir in shrimp.
  8. Stir in broth mixture (from Step 3) and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes to allow mixture to thicken.
  9. Pre-warm plates (An awesome touch.I like to microwave a stack of 2 for for about 1 minute but you can also place them in a warm oven)  
  10. Serve pasta topped with shrimp in sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and fresh chopped parsley.

** If you don’t have this spice, mix together your own concoction of all (or some) of the following spices: Black Pepper, Celery Seed, Cayenne Pepper, Parsley, Basil, Marjoram, Bay Leaf, dried onion, Oregano, Thyme, Savory, Rosemary, Cumin, Dry Mustard, Coriander, Garlic, Orange Zest, Tomato Granules, Lemon Zest. The “21st ingredient is citric acid which you can leave out!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for letting us know this creamy Shrimp Stir Fry. I'm so excited to cook it on Sunday because this recipe is one of my favorite. I hope I can make it perfect like yours so t hat my kids will eat plenty. Keep on sharing!

    ReplyDelete